Tuesday 10 March 2015

FOUR: A DIVERGENT COLLECTION || Review



Title: Four: A Divergent Collection

Author: Veronica Roth

Rating: 7/10

I'm a massive fan of the Divergent trilogy (I am so hyped for seeing the Insurgent movie this month) so buying this book after reading Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant was a definite must for me. Whereas the trilogy is all from the female protagonist's, Tris, point of view, this collection of short stories is all from the point of view of Four (or Tobias). It also includes three exclusive scenes set during Divergent which really were a treat to read.

The first three stories - The Transfer, The Initiate and The Son - are all about Four pre-Divergent and pre-Tris, so it's really interesting yet entertaining to get a grasp on his personality and actions before he became under the influence of Tris. The Transfer details Four's movement from Abnegation to Dauntless; The Initiate while enduring his training to vie for a high position in Dauntless and The Son his first few months in Dauntless whilst forging contact with his mother, Evelyn, after years apart. All three of these stories are great in their own right - credit to Veronica Roth - but my favourite has to be The Transfer, as it makes you understand why Four is the way he is and why he makes his decision to leave his faction behind and join Dauntless, despite the result of his Aptitude test. The first story is essentially Tobias choosing to free himself from the bounds Abnegation has set from him as well as his cruel father, Marcus. You sympathise for him yet condemn him at the same time. It really made me question the Four I was introduced to in my first reading of Divergent and how his love and trust in Tris is ultimately what frees him, not the choices he has made in the past.

This leads me on to the fourth story, The Traitor, set during Tris's initiation into Dauntless: around the time of the second stage of training (the fear simulations). It was refreshing to see Tobias falling in love with Tris and not the other way round, especially with the knowledge given during the first three stories and how hard it was for Tobias to learn to trust and care for people. The scene where Tobias invites Tris into his own fear landscape is especially refreshing seen from Tobias's point of view. It gives more depth to Tobias and his motives - we know Tris enough already, so it's great to see Tobias face his fears directly.

This collection of stories also explores other characters in more depth: Eric, who is just as much a dickhead during initiation as he is during the rest of the books; Max's arrogance and willingness to change Dauntless values from courageousness to brutality, and Shauna and Zeke. Eric's bitterness and cruelty seems more justified through this book, yet he's still a despicable human being. However, Eric's brutal tendencies only do more to highlight how, even though damaged and broken, Tobias is the true hero of the book. He does stupid things and lashes out, but he's kindhearted and strong-willed despite all the shit Marcus put him through.

Plus, the three extra scenes at the end provide a much needed closure after reading Allegiant. Especially 'First jumper--Tris!', as all I've wanted to know was what Four first thought when he saw Tris land in the net. If you've read Divergent I can guess that's probably been on your mind too. Who doesn't like a dystopian love story. It definitely reminded me of the story I've been so loyal to for over a year now and, trust me, you need that reminder. You'll know what I mean if you've read Allegiant.

Even though this is just a selection of shorts, which isn't as outrightly exciting and adrenaline-pumping as the Divergent trilogy - there isn't as much action, more just questions brought up in the trilogy that need answering - I still really enjoyed it, and it reminded me how much I just love this collection of books. Tobias and Tris's love story has captivated me from the beginning as well as the faction system and the universe the stories are set in. If you've read Divergent - I don't think it's necessary to have read Insurgent or Allegiant to read this, although you might want to - this is a definite must. If you love the story as much as I do, I'll guarantee you'll love this.

If you haven't already, give it a try. If you have, do message me and tell me your thoughts. It would be interesting to hear what anyone else has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment